Saturday 17 August 2013

The Life List-Lori Nelson Spielman

Brett is devastated when her beloved mother dies, and hurt beyond recognition when her brothers get given an inheritance and she doesn't.  Her mother's will instructs Brett that in order to gain her share she must complete the 'life list' she wrote as a teen.  Brett is reluctant-she doesn't even want half these things any more- but does mother know best?  Reluctantly, she sets out to achieve her childhood dreams, hoping that they can bring fulfilment to relieve the pain of grief.

I have a life list.  I wrote it aged 31 and am actively trying to reach my goals.  This book really spoke to me about how many of our dreams and desires are built in us from an early age.  It also reminded me that if you want anything enough you should do all you can to get it.  Inspiring stuff!

Although sometimes slightly farfetched, The Life List was actually a very uplifting, motivating read.  Filled with romance, friendship and family upheavals, the chaos and unpredictability of life is explored in a humorous and touching way.  There were moments where my eyes glistened with tears and others where I silently chuckled to myself.  Sentimental yet not mawkish, I found The Life List a tender and immersive read.  Brett was a likeable protagonist and I was actively willing her to achieve her goals and find out exactly what made her tick.

Lori Nelson Spielman has written a fantastically readable book that will appeal to fans of Cecelia Ahern's bestseller P.S I Love You.  This is not just chicklit, it is chicklit with a heart.

The Life List is out now, published by Arrow.

9/10

With thanks to Arrow, who provided me with a review copy of The Life List in return for an honest review.

You can find out more about Lori Nelson Spielman on her website.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Kate! So happy you enjoyed it! Cheers to YOUR life list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I meant, "Thank you, Bunny!" ...or maybe thanks to both of you, since I see Kate is the one who posted! Thanks to ALL!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Lori! We are one and the same- Bunny is my alterego! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and I look forward to reading and reviewing your next book. x

    ReplyDelete