Tuesday 13 August 2013

The List of my Desires- Gregoire Delacourt

The List of my Desires by Gregoire Delacourt is an international bestseller.  Widely touted as one of the 'must read books of 2013' I couldn't wait to be whisked away by it.

It is certainly a thought-provoking read.  Jocelyne is a wife and mother living in a small French town.  She runs a haberdashery and writes a successful crafting blog.  Her best friends work at the hairdressers next door and dream of winning big on the Euromillions.  Determined that Jocelyne will get a taste for their lottery habit, they encourage her to buy a ticket-and amazingly, Jocelyne wins 18 million euros. 

Before cashing her winnings, Jocelyne begins to list her 'desires'.  Mostly simple, everyday objects she ponders whether money can truly bring happiness.  Should she cash the cheque?  Or will having such a large sum of money cause more problems than it solves? 

The List of my Desires made me contemplate just how much influence money has over our lives, not just the opportunities it can afford but also affecting how you are perceived my others; and whether it is healthy to be able to afford everything you wish for. 

I often find that books translated into English from other languages are harder to read and don't flow as naturally as they ought, but this was not the case with this book.  From the opening sentence to the closing message, it was highly readable- literary, yet accessible to the masses.

Touching and heartwrenching, The List of my Desires lives up to the hype surrounding it, a well crafted and all consuming novel. 

The List of my Desires is out now, published by Weidenfeld and Nicolson.

8.5/10

With thanks to Weidenfeld and Nicolson for providing me with a review copy of The List of my Desires in return for an honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment