Monday 30 September 2013

Broken Beauty-Chloe Adams

I am not always a fan of books that are obviously serialised, mainly because I am an impatient so-and-so and hate waiting around to find out what happens next.  However, I liked the sound of Broken Beauty

Very different to my usual reading matter, Broken Beauty follows Mia, a politician's daughter, in the aftermath of a sexual attack, the book is naturally disturbing and uncomfortable reading.  There were times where it was painful to see inside Mia's soul and realise how every aspect of her life has been affected by her trauma.  I felt that Chloe Adams managed to portray the horror of rape with sensitivity and I cared for Mia as a character, willing her ordeal to somehow become easier and for her to get the support she so desperately needs and deserves.

Most suited to mature young adults/new adults (16+), Broken Beauty may cross over into the adult mainstream.  I haven't read many fiction books that explore the aftermath of rape in such detail, and it made far more of an impression on me than I expected.  I want to know what happens next to Mia and will definitely be looking out for the next instalment in the series, due out in November.

Not the easiest of reads, but one that made me think about the struggle between doing what is right and what is expected.

Broken Beauty is out now published by Indie Inked.

7.5/10

With thanks to the publisher for providing me with a review copy in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment