Wednesday 25 September 2013

My Liebster Award

 
I’m pleased to say that I’ve been nominated for the Liebster Award an amazing THREE TIMES by Sheli at Sheli Reads , Jo at Jaffa Reads Too and Victoria at Victoria Loves Books.

So what is the Liebster Award?

The idea behind the award is to give new and upcoming bloggers the opportunity to build their community and get to know one another. It’s the perfect way to meet new people and let them find out some interesting facts about you.

Here’s some rules:

 1. Answer the questions that the tagger set for you plus create questions for the people you’ve tagged to answer;
2. Nominate some other bloggers!
3. Let them know!

So here are my answer to Sheli's questions...

1. If you could be any fictional character who would you be?
Jane Eyre.  Just because I am so in love with Edward Rochester that it is untrue.

2. What is your favourite film/TV adaptation?
I loved the BBC version of Sarah Waters' Tipping the Velvet and also The Night Watch, but my favourite would be the BBC Jane Eyre (again, I know) with Toby Stephens playing Mr Rochester.

3. What was your favourite book as a child?
I loved all Enid Blyton books, especially the Famous Five and Secret Seven books.

4. Do you read any non-fiction? If so, what topic do you read about?
I do, I enjoy books about football, the UK, autobiographies (if the subject interests me), books about Morrissey/The Smiths, dance, cats, Wales...

5. What book are you going to read next?
I literally just started Amelia Grey's Fireside Dream by Abby Clements. After that I don't know-have a really big selection to choose from though!

6. What has been your favourite book of 2013 so far?
I absolutely adored Glaciers by Alexis M. Smith (read my review here ).  That is my favourite adult read so far this year.

7. Who would play you in a movie about your life?
Ana Fur Laxis, who is a stunningly beautiful and totally fabulous burlesque star.  She looks nothing like me, but still..

 
This was taken when I met Anna back in 2010 (my hair looks a real mess after backcombing/rolling it for hours-it was at a vintage hair and make up workshop!)

8. Can you read in more than one language?
I can understand some French, German, Welsh and Spanish, but certainly nowhere near fluently in any of them!

9. Which author would you recommend readers follow on Twitter for entertainment purposes?
I am always entertained by @sarasheridan , she tweets some fabulous vintage pictures and interesting facts plus is extremely passionate about reading.

10. What book is at the top of your Christmas wishlist?
I am currently trying to collect every book published by Persephone, so any of those that I don't have already is right up there.  I also saw a gorgeous edition of Jane Eyre (I know, I know, I am sounding like a stuck record) when I was at Rossiter Books in Monmouth and so that is on my wishlist.

And my answers to Jo's...

1 - The best book you read last year
The best book I read in 2012-I honestly can't remember back that far!

2 - A book that you've read more than 3 times
Could be one of any number, but one of the Famous Five books.  I think Five Go Adventuring Again was my favourite.

3 - Favourite book turned into a movie
I tend to prefer TV adaptations, but do like Willy Wonka, partly because my son adored it and it was on repeat in our house for months.

 4 – Favourite book from your childhood
See above in answers to Sheli's questions!!

 5 - A book that makes you happy
All books make me happy. 

 6 - A book that makes you sad
I bawled my eyes out the first time I read Marley and Me.  Heartwrenching.

 7 - Most underrated book
So many books are underrated.  Picturebooks in particular are undervalued.

 8 - Most overrated book
I have never got into Wuthering Heights, but maybe one day I will. 

 9 - A book you thought you wouldn't like but ending up loving
Any of the Harry Potter books.  I put them off for a long time but when I was sucked in I was sucked in good and proper.

 10 - A Book you have wanted to read for a long time but haven't
The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson has been on my shelf since it was released.  Have heard great things but never picked it up.  So many books, so little time...

And Victoria's questions...

1. Which Disney character would you like to be?
Nala.  Being a lioness and queen would be quite cool.

2. Worst book you have ever read?
If they are that bad I don't tend to finish them.  I did finish the Old Man and the Sea though by Hemingway and didn't get the fuss at all.

3. 4 book blogs you enjoy reading?
Victoria Loves Books
Random Things Through My Letterbox
Laura's Little Book Blog
Chapter One, Page One

Although I read so many book blogs and always enjoy them so it was hard to single any out!

4. Recommend a book?
If you haven't read 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff, you must.

5. Worst film adaption of a book?
I don't like the film version of Dahl's The Witches at all.

6. Would you rather go into the big Brother house or the Jungle (I’m a celeb)?
Big Brother house because I am veggie and couldn't eat the bugs

7. Ant or Dec?
Ant.  No, Dec.  No, Ant.  (Repeat to fade)

8. Favourite heroine from a book?
I don't really have heroines as such.  Maybe someone from a fairy tale- is Red Riding Hood a heroine?

9. Name 5 bad habits you have?
Nail biting, compulsive book buying, saying 'yes' to everything, tapping my feet whenever I am standing still, singing randomly when anyone quotes song lyrics in general conversation

10. 5 authors you would like to have dinner with?
JK Rowling, Daphne du Maurier, Helene Hanff, Sarah Waters and Roald Dahl.  Think it would be an interesting mix.

I'm going to nominate

@mrskidster from Yvonne's Reading Blog

@emmaiswriting from Emma Is Writing

@erinschoicee from Erin's Choice

And my questions are-

1) What are you currently reading?

2) How many books do you have waiting to be read?

3) When you were a child, what job did you dream of having when you grew up?

4) What was your favourite subject at school?

5) Which do you do first-read the book or see the film?

6) What is the most disgusting thing you have eaten?

7) What was the last book you bought?

8) Who is your favourite author?

9) What is your favourite chocolate bar?

10) What made you decide to start blogging?

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kate - thanks for taking part - hope you had fun !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, it was great fun and I think a really positive idea to spread the love of blogging!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations x 3 and another 3, you are the third person this week that has mentioned 84 and so now I want it even more.

    ReplyDelete