Wednesday 23 October 2013

'You've Never Read Bridget Jones's Diary?!' by guestblogger Laura


Today I'm welcoming the lovely Laura from Laura's Little Book Blog to share that she has never read Bridget Jones's Diary...
 
Why I’ve never read… Bridget Jones's Diary


Diary Entry no.1

 

10:56am

 

As I am talking about why I have never read Bridget Jones Diary, I thought I would write this as a diary entry- clever huh- no? OK, so no it’s not that clever. Fine, I’m going to carry on anyway.

 

So why have I not read Bridget Jones Diary, the book that has had women talking for years.

 

Well the main and boring reason was the books came out when I was 7 years old in 1996, so it was kind of unlikely that I would read the book at that age! I heard about the film release when I got older, but then I was still only 12, so didn’t appeal to me. But over the years I’ve caught bits of it on TV and it is definitely watchable and is very funny. I don’t think I have ever sat down and watched both films the whole way through, but they have been on the TV so much I must have watched them both from beginning to end by now, even if it has been a collection of different parts at different times.  The films were really good though and as I am getting older I can definitely relate to her struggles with men! There are also some hilarious quotes in the film:

 

[answering phone]

Bridget: Bridget Jones, wanton sex goddess, with a very bad man between her thighs... Mum... Hi.

 

[Bridget glimpses Mark for the first time]

Bridget: Perhaps this is the mysterious Mr. Right I have been waiting my whole life to meet.

[sees reindeer sweater]

Bridget: Maybe not.

 

Bridget: Resolution #1: Uggg - will obviously lose 20 lbs. #2: Always put last night's panties in the laundry basket. Equally important: will find nice sensible boyfriend and stop forming romantic attachments to any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, sexaholics, commitment-phobics, peeping toms, megalomaniacs, emotional fuckwits, or perverts. Will especially stop fantasizing about a particular person who embodies all these things.

 

When I heard that Mad About the Boy was going to come out, I was actually thinking of giving the books a go and then she announced beforehand that she had killed off Mark Darcy!! What the actual F**K?!!! OK I have only watched the films, but I loved Collin Firth in them and the Mark Darcy character that he played so I am bitterly disappointed because I was genuinely going to give Mad About the Boy a try, but now I’m not even going to bother.

 

 


So Helen Fielding, I think you have massively disappointed your fans and not only killed Mark Darcy, but killed off any more potential readership as you have certainly lost mine.

 

Laura x

 

 


 

 
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Lauraslittlebookblog?ref=hl

No comments:

Post a Comment