Wednesday 18 December 2013

Revenge of a Chalet Girl- Lorraine Wilson *Review and author guest post*

Blurb

All she wants for Christmas is…revenge.

When chalet girl Amy Wright finds her ex’s name on Chalet Repos’ guest list she sees her chance to get back at him – Josh Carter, the guy who broke her heart. Getting revenge without losing her job will be tricky but luckily the other chalet girls are on hand to offer their support. Pretty soon she’s in too deep and realises she doesn’t want to hurt him anymore. She wants him back.

There’s just one teeny complication…

Review

Revenge of a Chalet Girl is the third instalment of Lorraine Wilson's wintery romance novellas set in glorious Verbier.  They could be read as stand alone books, but I'd definitely recommend reading them in order to get the full impact and learn the chalet girls' backstories.  The first in the series is Confessions of a Chalet Girl (read my review here ), followed by Secrets of a Chalet Girl (you can find my review here ). 

Revenge of a Chalet Girl didn't disappoint.  I always enjoy stories about what happens when exes meet up, and Josh and Amy's story was no exception- the tension was intense!  The ski resort as a setting is full of romance- snow, hot tubs, smouldering fires-everything you would expect from a wintery romance.

Lorraine Wilson also touched me with her description of depression, something I have been struggling with myself.  She managed to put into words the extreme fear, loneliness and overwhelming apathy that can eat you alive.  Anyone who says that authors of romance can't deal with difficult issues should read this- it is one of the most realistic portrayals of the illness I have come across in fiction.

However, it isn't all doom and gloom.  Revenge of a Chalet Girl is full of girly humour and has one character (I won't give away who, but if you read it'll be obvious!) who I loved to hate.  Honestly, one of my favourite book baddies of the year!

It did take me a bit longer to get into than the previous Chalet Girl books, but then I was immersed, hook, line and sinker.  An escapist, wintery novella to devour in one go.

Revenge of a Chalet Girl is released tomorrow, published by Harper Impulse.

8/10

With thanks to the publisher for providing me with a review copy of this book.

Visit

Lorraine Wilson very kindly agreed to write a short piece about why Revenge of a Chalet Girl is the book she is most proud of writing...
 
Being asked to pick your favourite book as an author feels a little like being asked to pick a favourite child. But I have to say my Christmas release, 'Revenge of a Chalet Girl' is my favourite so far. Partly because it was such fun to write - at no point did I curse it, feel the urge to hit delete or feel stuck - but also because I included the Christmas markets at Montreux, Switzerland, in the story. I love the festive markets on the lakeshore of Lac Leman and while the market in Salzburg, Austria is more impressive (even curing my other half of his Scrooge-like tendencies!) the Montreux markets are special for me. The lakeshore at Montreux with its views of Evian and the French Alps is one of my favourite places in the world at any time of the year.
 

 
 
But at Christmas the decorations are gorgeous, the food scrumptious, the gifts to buy entirely unique and lots of the handbags I've made and sold have been created from Indian fabric purchased at one of the stalls. Chateau Chillon even holds its own medieval Christmas market and you can take the cog railway up the mountain past snow-laden fir trees to see Père Noël - http://www.montreuxnoel.com/en-site-1-christmas-market.html

 
 
 
I will be there again this year (for which I blame my editor ;-) If you can't make it for real why not go along with my heroine Amy?


1 comment:

  1. Your Chalet Girl series sounds fab, Lorraine! And BooksbyBunny review of Revenge of a Chalet Girl is wonderful! Yay!

    ReplyDelete