Monday 13 January 2014

The book that changed me- Guest post by Emma Louise


When Kate kindly asked fellow book bloggers on Twitter to speak out a book which has had an impact on their lives, I jumped at the chance and quickly emailed her. In all my years of reading, I have never come across a book which has changed the way I value my life.

 

Let me introduce you to a very special woman in my life, my mum. She’s really the greatest person in my life – she cooks the greatest chicken Sunday roast and never fails to express how proud she is of me.

            In April 2013, my mum was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and our lives came crashing down when there wasn’t just one lump, there were two. Thankfully, it was caught extremely early and both lumps were successfully removed. Then came the start of the chemotherapy (ugh!) and once that was over, the radiotherapy began which she had to have every single day for just over a month (not including weekends, thankfully).

            My mum is now Cancer free and we’re looking forward to having a hospital free year or so we hope. Like most people, you feel scared when someone so close to you is diagnosed with Cancer because you aren’t aware of the outcome. Anything can happen at any given moment. For my family, we were always on pins and needles when it came to my mum having Cancer because my Nan (mum’s mum) sadly passed away of Breast Cancer which unfortunately worked its way up into her brain and ate her alive. It sounds horrible saying it like that, but it’s the truth. I was frightened that my mum would go the same way but thankfully, she didn’t.

            Her hair is now growing back and she’s racing alongside my nephew to see who has the most hair. At least it’s able to put a smile back on her face.

 

When Harper Impulse introduced Carmel Harrington to me, I instantly took a shine to her. Once my TBR pile reached a novel called Beyond Grace’s Rainbow, I didn’t know what to expect. Little did I know that I would be crying buckets of tears every single chapter. I’m forever grateful to Carmel for writing this novel because it’s allowed me to grow up and value my life. I read Grace’s story whilst my mum was having chemotherapy and it was like I was having my own therapy. Grace is a beautiful, strong woman and her story touched me far more than it did to any other reader.

            Since finishing the book, Carmel and I have bonded over Twitter and emails. She’s more of a close friend now than a fellow author. Because of Beyond Grace’s Rainbow, I’m more than happy to promote Carmel until I’m blue in the face.

            At the end of November 2013, I went to my local Waterstones in Liverpool One to explain how daft they’d be not to stock the touching and emotional novel. The manager took one look at me, realised I was passionate about the book and she’s given me her word that she’ll do her best to get hold of the book and allow Carmel to do a book signing.

 
Carmel, I can’t thank you enough for writing a beautiful novel. My words of praise will never do Grace’s story justice. Because of you, I’ve become a better person and I no longer take anything for granted. I love you more than Harry Potter himself (now, that’s a big deal!)

 

Emma Louise xxx

 

My Twitter: @EmmaLouAuthor       My blog: www.emmalouauthor.wordpress.com

 

Carmel’s Twitter: @happymrsh       Carmel’s: www.carmelharrington.com

No comments:

Post a Comment