Wednesday 15 January 2014

The Book that Changed Me- guest post by Laura Lovelock

When I am faced with questions about the books that 'changed my life' I normally always cop out and choose Perks Of Being A Wallflower; it is the only book that I can remember had a massive impact on my life. But then I thought that this was about books that changed ME, not my LIFE.

So, I sat (or should I say reclined in the bath) and had a really good think about my book past and rather quickly one jumped out at me: Black Rabbit Summer by Kevin Brooks.

I read this book when I was probably about 14-15 and I remember it had a massive impact on the way I perceived people around me and the world of books. Up until then I hadn't read any kind of crime novel and I was completely and utterly shocked that such amazing works of fiction existed: it changed my whole outlook on books and realised that books weren't always happy; books could tell sad and angry and scary and dangerous stories.

But it also made me think about my peers: what happens if some of them are taking drugs? Having sex? Committing crimes? It made me very wary and incredibly critical in analysing behaviour of those around me: I almost became a super sleuth!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the book helped me grow up through my teenage years, it challenged my preconceptions and it made me into the person I am today. I think so many books have the power to do that and I have been shaped by so many of them. I think Black Rabbit Summer is one of those books that will always stay with me and will continue to remind me of the power books can have over your life.

@_shelovestoread
 
With huge thanks to Laura for guesting on my blog today- I highly recommend you visit her fabulous blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment