Friday 7 February 2014

Blackout- Emily Barr and Quick Reads launch day

Quick Reads are short books designed for adults who don't have time to read full length novels, or who have a fear of reading long books.  At around 100 pages each, Quick Reads are well developed, stand alone stories by best selling authors.  There are Quick Reads in many different genres so there really is something for everyone!  And at just £1 per book, they are a great way to try something different.



I was absolutely thrilled when Quick Reads sent me Blackout to review. I'd not read anything by Emily Barr since Cuban Heels, and I couldn't wait to try this one.

The blurb said...

You wake up in a strange room, with no idea how you got there.

You are abroad, in a city you have never visited before.

You have no money, no passport, no phone.

And there is no sign of your baby.

What do you do?

Without giving too much away (which is especially hard when reviewing a short book!) this psychological thriller had me gripped.  It had twists and turns and I never knew what to believe.  In some ways I do wish it had been a full length novel, purely because in just over an hour I had finished it.  There was definitely a sense of disappointment that it was over, it was exactly the kind of book I enjoy, full of intrigue and suspense. 

I'd recommend Blackout to anyone, but if you have read and enjoyed books by Paula Daly or enjoyed TV shows such as Broadchurch, this may well be something you'll love.

Find out more about Quick Reads at their website, and watching this beautiful video about books.  It totally encapsulates how I feel about reading.

Blackout is out now.

9/10

With thanks to Quick Reads for sending me a copy of this book to review in return for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment