Monday 24 February 2014

The One Plus One- Jojo Moyes

 
The One Plus One is the story of Jessica Thomas, a single Mum working long hours in low paid jobs to provide for her mathematically gifted daughter Tanzie and her stepson Nick.  When the family meet Ed Nicholls, a handsome man of means, the four of them experience a life less ordinary and learn lessons about what is truly important in life.
 
I found The One Plus One a really interesting book.  It deals with many aspects of modern life- dysfunctional families, peer pressure, societal expectations and most overtly how our life chances are affected by our financial status, and is relevant and contemporary in the current economic climate. 
 
The characters are well created and I found myself empathising with Jessica throughout, as I am sure many working Mum's will.  The four lead characters are all intriguing and full of possibility, quirky without being outlandish, and I found that I was desperate to read on as I wanted to find out what would happen to them all.
 
Jojo Moyes writes in a way that is touching and thought provoking, and I found myself reassessing my own beliefs and preconceptions as a result of this book.  The One Plus One is romantic and beautiful, honest and true.  Fans of Jojo Moyes won't be disappointed.

Released on 27th February 2014.

8.5/10

I received a review copy of this book in return for my honest opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment