Tuesday 1 July 2014

The Bookshop on the Corner- Rebecca Raisin



It is fair to say I am a huge fan of Rebecca Raisin and had been waiting (im)patiently for the release of The Bookshop on the Corner for months!

The plot is simple- Sarah is a bookworm who owns a quirky second hand bookshop in Connecticut. She is passionate about romance novels, but never finds a man who compares to the book boyfriends residing in the fiction she adores.  Then sexy, confident Ridge Warner, a journalist from New York, turns up on her doorstep- has Sarah finally found someone who can compare to the men in her books?

I found it easy to relate to Sarah.  She is a book lover, a dreamer, desperate for her own happily ever after -actually, she is very similar to me!  I couldn't make my mind up about Ridge and didn't immediately fall for him, but enjoyed the development of the relationship between him and Sarah none-the-less.  Naturally, the course of true love never did run smooth, and at one point I was fuming at Ridge-honestly, my blood was full on boiling!

Books themselves play a huge role in this story.  As a book lover, the descriptions of the bookshop were delightfully tantalising- I want to go there and sit in the reading room, losing myself between the pages of a well thumbed book.  There were pangs in my heart as I thought about everything I love about books and why I will never, ever read purely on electronic devices.  Each individual book has a personality, and is so much more than just a physical object.  Raisin describes that beautifully.  I also adored how book blogging was portrayed as a community pastime, which is exactly how my own experience of it has been. 

If you have read and enjoyed Rebecca Raisin's previous books Christmas at the Gingerbread Café and Chocolate Dreams at the Gingerbread Café then The Bookshop on the Corner offers more of the same in terms of charm, lovable characters that you will genuinely care about (including updates on Lil, Damon and CeeCee- YES!) and heart stopping old-fashioned romance. 

This is a delightful story which put a smile on my face and a spring in my step- full of hopes, dreams and most of all, my one true love- books.

A gorgeous read.

The Bookshop on the Corner is out now.

With thanks to Carina for providing me with a review copy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment