Tuesday 10 February 2015

Skating at Somerset House- Nikki Moore



The Blurb

The first short story in the fun & flirty #LoveLondon series from exciting new chick lit author Nikki Moore!

There’s nothing Holly Winterlake loves more than Christmas and skating, so working as an Ice Marshall at London's Somerset House is a dream come true.
Noel Summerford hates the festive season and is a disaster on the ice, so taking his godson to Somerset House is his idea of the nightmare before Christmas!
Things are bound to get interesting when these two collide…
With a forty foot Christmas tree, an assortment of well meaning friends and relatives, and a mad chocolate Labrador, will this festive season be one to remember … or forget?

The Review

I first heard of Nikki Moore when I read the Be My Valentine short story collection last year.  I was immediately a huge fan of her writing (you can read what I thought here ), and was thrilled to hear Harper Impulse were publishing a collection of her novellas.  The Love London series starts with Skating at Somerset House and it's fair to say this first instalment was worth the wait.  Nikki Moore writes books I find really easy to read, her style is natural and flowing with a fast paced dialogue.

Noel, the male lead, is a bit of a grumpy Grinch-reluctantly taking his godson ice skating at the beautiful Somerset House in the run up to Christmas.  However, it doesn't take long for him to notice Holly Winterlake, a lover of all things festive.  Formerly a star skater, now a marshall on the ice rink, Holly is also attracted to Noel. They might not share a love of Christmas, but as they get to know each other better over luxury hot chocolates it's obviously the start of something special.

The story is a bit of a When Harry Met Sally- the reader knows love is blooming before the characters do- and despite the frosty, winter setting it's a cosy read that left me with a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.  I wasn't feeling well when I read this and it gave me a boost-so much so that I had to tweet the author to say thank you for perking me up!  Personally, I wasn't keen on both the main characters having wintery names, but other than that it was pretty darn perfect. 

This is a fun, festive read that has definitely whetted my appetite for the rest of the series!

I received a galley copy of this book in return for an honest review.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment