Wednesday 13 May 2015

The Trouble with Mojitos- Romy Sommer



The Blurb

Turquoise blue waters. Sandy white beaches. Mojitos... Film location scout Kenzie Cole has found herself in paradise. Working in the Caribbean for a week is just what she needs to escape the long line of exes in her closet. Though the last thing she expects is to be picked up at the resort bar by a disgraced former Prince!

Luckily for Kenzie, exile is suiting the man formerly known as Prince Fredrik very well. And it’s not long before his rugged, pirate charm is proving hard to resist.

But Rik’s been spending his time in paradise exorcising demons of his own and he has danger written all over him. If Kenzie was sensible she’d run a mile instead of lose herself to lust - although, they do say sometimes you have to get lost before you can be found....


The Review

I'm writing this review as the sun shines over my city, day one of a mini heatwave of sorts if the weather forecasters are to be believed.  And The Trouble with Mojitos is the sort of book to enjoy on a lazy summer day, that's for sure.

So, why should you be putting it in your suitcase this summer?

Firstly, the settings. What's not to love about deserted beaches with waterfalls spilling down a rock face?  Or stunning palaces with baroque architecture?  The way Romy Sommer writes these places, they are easy to envisage, and although I was reading from my battered sofa, I felt like I was transported to somewhere far more exotic.  This would be a perfect beach or poolside read, even better with a cocktail (mojito?) on the side.  And if, like me, you're at home surrounded by dirty pots and piles of ironing, what better place is there to escape to than an idyllic island?

The characters were interesting too.  I fell head over heels in love with Rik from the get-go, which was quite strange as the opening scenes didn't paint him in the most flattering light!  But there was a definite charm, and as the story wore on it became more and more apparent that he was nigh on the perfect hero. I couldn't fangirl harder for him if I tried.  A prince who could pass for a pirate- yum yum, indeed.

Kenzie, the female protagonist, was a bit harder to get the measure of.  Whilst we learn about her job I felt I never really knew her that well as a character, and although I liked her it was as though she had a barrier up.  As it turns out she does have a pretty big secret of her own...

There are a fair few sex scenes which will get you fanning yourself with your sunhat if that's your scene, and the plot itself held my attention.  I wanted to find out the details behind why Rik was no longer in the royal household and also whether Kenzie would be able to impress her boss and boast the perfect film location for the next blockbuster smash!

However, the highlight is Romy Sommer's engaging voice which kept me hitting the next page button on my kindle.  This book was just so readable

The Trouble with Mojitos is actually the second book in the Westerwald series, and I haven't read the first.  But I can tell you now, I definitely will be.  Firstly, because I want to see if there are any more glimpses of the freshest prince around, and secondly, after the massive hint about what could happen in the next book I am NEEDING to know just why things ended as they did.

The Trouble with Mojitos is out now, published by Harper Impulse.
With thanks to the publisher who provided me with a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Romy Sommer recently wrote an exclusive guest post around the theme 'Should you write what you know?' for Books with Bunny.  You can read that article here.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous review, Katey. Thanks for sharing. Ooooh, and I do love that cover. Well done, Romy. :) xx

    ReplyDelete